Thursday, September 10, 2009

Take me out to the ball game...deep in the heart of Texas




On a beautiful, if wickedly hot, Sunday afternoon I ventured out to watch the Houston Astros take on the Philadelphia Phillies. I am not a huge baseball fan. I cannot discuss the sport with any depth or insight. But I do enjoy getting out to a stadium every once in a while, to sit in the sun, have a couple of overpriced beers, and see a game. At Minute Maid Park, however, despite (or in part because of) the sunny day and heat and 40% chance of rain, the roof was closed and air conditioning turned up high. Which, was probably just as well. The heat and 24oz. beers would not have mixed well.

One singularity of seeing a game in Houston is that in addition to the now requisite God Bless America, and the traditional Take Me Out to the Ball Game, comes a rendition of Deep in the Heart of Texas. All complete with lyrics, of course.


Also, there is, for some reason I could not find, a rabbit.

No comments: